Thank you for your patience and co-operation in responding and adapting to the changing circumstances throughout these last challenging weeks. We at Quinta do Lago pride ourselves on the quality of our customer service and social responsibility and so it’s wonderful to see this being shared with tour operator partners.
Now, as we begin to take steps toward reopening and safely welcoming guests back to the resort, I am pleased to give details of the investment and developments in golf at Quinta do Lago, that is currently underway.
The Covid-19 pandemic has been, and continues to be, challenging for all of us. But, while the world is in shutdown, here at Quinta do Lago we are using this time to invest in and improve the facilities and unrivalled experience we offer to our residents and guests as Europe’s premier luxury golf and lifestyle resort.
I am pleased to announce that we will invest €7 million into upgrades of our golf courses, most notably the South Course, over the coming months.
These improvements will be carried out with sustainable goals in mind and our team work with the Golf Environment Organisation (GEO) Foundation to further enhance our environmental stewardship.
Golfers can expect improvements to the iconic par-72 South Course such as:
– All fairways, bunkers, tees and green surrounds of the South Course will be revamped as well as subtle changes being made to a number of holes to enhance the playing experience.
– Installation of state-of-the-art pumps in the lake around the 16th green will maximise resort efficiency and reduce power output by 20 per cent.
– New irrigation pumps installed around the greens will give more control of irrigation water, increase efficiency and, ultimately, reduce the use of nonrenewable resources and pesticides.
– To help provide a consistent playing experience, all the fairways, approaches, greens collars and tees will be resurfaced with a hybrid Bermudagrass.
– All 48 bunkers on the course will be trimmed to their original size, with new drainage and sand added and compacted, while several bunkers currently within the pine tree canopy will be adjusted to give access to the green and two bunkers relocated to favour the modern game.
– The lakes on the third and 17th holes will be upgraded with new retaining walls giving a sharp modern look consistent with the other lakes on the course; the fairway on the eighth hole will be softened and a number of pine trees relocated to allow greater access to the green; the 16th hole is to be improved by bringing the lake into play behind the green, adding drama to the closing holes.
– A planting scheme of native species adopted across the course to increase the biodiversity of flora and fauna.
The South Course has played an integral part in the history of the resort and holds a special place in the hearts of so many of our residents and guests. As an eight-time host of the Portuguese Open, it is truly an iconic golfing venue and the enhancement programme that we’ve devised will help to ensure that it strengthens its position at the forefront of European golf.
The upgrade to this world-class layout is due to be completed for reopening on the 1st September, and bookings for this period are open.
Without doubt, golfers will miss the South Course over the next few months. But, during these recent weeks of closure, we have been busy priming and preparing the North and Laranjal Courses – which underwent a €9.6 m renovation in October 2014 – to give their annual aeration work early and ensure that they will remain open and in pristine condition for the remainder of the year.
In addition, we are proud to offer golfers access to our new fleet of Club Car ‘Tempo’ electric buggies and look forward to the reopening of our clubhouses, following a modern and sophisticated makeover.
This, together with the incredible golf, leisure and lifestyle facilities at Quinta do Lago, all approved “Clean & Safe” by the Turismo de Portugal, we are certain that golfers will be able to enjoy time with us over the summer – and that the improvements to the South Course will be worth the wait.
We appreciate the patience of our loyal golfing community during this time and look forward to welcoming them back at Quinta do Lago.